Parent and Community Association
Committees and Initiatives 2018-19
PCA Committees will plan, organize, and work collectively as a group. Volunteers are needed to form the committees (sign-up form on the back of this sheet).
- Care and Concerns (headed by Lauren Marx-Ascencios) - The purpose of this committee is to initiate, plan, and organize responses to intermittent needs and concerns that may arise within the community. Examples of types of responses could range from cards or gifts to express sympathy or support up to meal and transportation support for families experiencing more complex needs.
- Concessions (headed by Josh Klaff) - The school would benefit greatly from having a group of parents willing to fill some of the concessions and admissions slots during athletic events in order to free-up the parents of athletes participating in that particular event to be able to watch their child play rather than manning concessions. This is a great and fun way to meet members of the NGFS community while helping the school.
- Fall Unity Festival (headed by Jim Bassett) - Volunteers on the FUF committee will help plan this exciting fall event with the PCA. This committee is for the purpose of planning the event. Volunteers for working the actual day of the event will be sought through a separate Signup Genius.
- Guilford Campus Library (headed by Miranda Peascoe) - Volunteer opportunities include reading to younger students, coding new books, shelving books, creating book displays, and checking-out books to students. Volunteers can sign up for a weekly slot, come in when time allows, or be available on an as-needed basis.
- Logo Wear (headed by Kaila Bullock) - This committee works with the Director of Communications and the Advancement office to come up with logo wear options, help manage fulfilling orders, keep inventory, and organize sales at events.
- School Spirit (headed by Kaila Bullock) - The purpose of this committee is to unite both the Guilford and Page-Frederiksen campuses through school spirit activities. We aim to support the students and staff of the NGFS community while building pride in the school. Spirit leaders instill pride, promote unity, and encourage participation through creative and fun activities while honoring our core values. The committee will meet once per athletic season and/or academic quarter to plan activities.
- Teacher/Staff Appreciation (headed by Wendy Mies) - The primary focus of this committee is to coordinate and implement functions and events to show our amazing teachers and staff at NGFS how much we appreciate all that they do for our children. Examples of such events are the annual staff appreciation lunches, the dessert lottery, and snacks at monthly staff meetings. The committee also functions to brainstorm new ideas for ways to show our teachers and staff that they are appreciated.
PCA Initiatives are long-term school support projects that are organized by individuals rather than committees. The individuals in charge of the initiatives will intermittently draw from the support of the broader community for specific endeavors.
- Community Rewards (headed by Wes Armstrong) - This committee will aid the community in identifying and capitalizing upon easy national and local fundraising opportunities for the school. These include programs such as Box Tops for Education, Amazon Smile, Harris Teeter Together in Education, etc. The committee may also research and apply for small grants that might be available for specific programs.
- Book fair (headed by Kelly McCallum) - Coordinates with Carolyn Vallejos (Head of Lower School) in planning, coordinating, and organizing the Guilford Campus book fairs.
RETAIL REWARDS PROGRAMS
Click here to find out more about supporting our school when you shop at Amazon, Harris Teeter, Lowes, and other retailers.